Sunday, July 24, 2016

Mid-July Nature Study {2016}



I'm late in getting this posted, but we did get out to the family farm for a little nature study and blackberry picking two weeks ago.




It's been hotter than average this summer and getting outside in nature has not been a priority. I like nature, but I like my AC too. I'm looking forward to more reasonable temperatures!




Blackberries were abundant this year, but small in size. Wild blackberry plants have grown prolifically around the lake at the family farm. We picked more then we could eat and advised relatives to get out and pick more. Birds and beetles moved in shortly after we picked and made the crop useless after that.



We took the long way around looking for blooming wild flowers and were not disappointed.

Ironweed

I think one of my favorite things about using the same piece of property for nature study is to see the changes from week to week (or month to month when weather doesn't allow weekly visits). Some things are gradual (spring greening up and fall leaves changing) and some things happen so fast (flowers blooming and damage from insects). I will go and revisit places from year to year and sometimes flowers don't reappear or unexpected things appear. It's all amazing.

Queen Anne's Lace

Queen Anne's Lace


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...