Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The End of Term 2 {2014-2015}


(Photos from our usual nature study spot. Geese found on the lake during one of our recent visit.)

Term 2 has come to an end! I'm happy about this. Not only because it means we are closer to being done with the school year but also because we just need to bring an end and start fresh mid-winter.

The problem with having a three term school year is that you have a big (Christmas) break halfway through. I want to end a term before having a long break. It seemed like we had unfinished lesson to complete when we started back. That could have been avoided. I've gone back and forth on three and four term years and at the moment the 4 term school year as my vote! With some modifications though as I don't want examinations at the end of all those terms. Anyway . . .

Exams went well! They don't always do, so this was a pleasant surprise. I got lots of help in writing questions from the SCM Narration Book.

Tyler's Examination:
* Copywork selection from history book
* Keyboarding-print out today's selection
* History: Tell me what happened to the Roman Empire.
* Religion: Who said this? "This very night, before the cock crows, you will deny three times over that you know me." Explain what was going on.

* Science: Make a chart of all the classification of animals and tell me about their characteristics.

Caleb's Examination:
* Math: Saxon Test 9
* Science: (1) What is your definition of science? (2)Pick one (list given) and tell me their contribution to science. (Caleb picked Ancient Egyptians)
* Literature (Lord of the Rings-Fellowship): (1) Tell me everything you know about how Aragorn discovered Frodo had the ring. (2) Who is Sam Gamgee?
* History: (1) Pick one of the people you read about in chapter 8 (the 1950s in the US) and tell me all you know about him/her. (he picked Elvis Presley) (2) Tell me about American culture in the 50's.



The end of term two brought the completion of a few books for the boys. 

Tyler completed the Story of the World 1, A Life of Our Lord for Children, and The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism #1. I pulled out Stories of America (from Simply Charlotte Mason) and Health 5 (from Seton) just because they weren't well loved and were the first to be dropped if we got behind.

Caleb finished The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism #2 and The Virtue Tree program. I pulled out Writing With Skill Level 1 to discontinue because it's just too many lessons!



This week we are on break (we usually take a week off after a term). I didn't think we needed a break but it turns out we do. The boys do have a check list to complete this week (math and extra reading) which is helpful in keeping them off screens. There is also lots of outdoor play, even though the weather is cold (the puppy helps with that). And lots of Lego play too.

I'll have a post with term 3 books coming up very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Growing up our schools were all 3 terms, they were long terms and we were bored by the end of our holidays. towards the end of my schooling they switched to 4 terms, far more effective, and the holidays too. so 10 weeks each term, 2 weeks off (includes Easter) and then 6 weeks off over Christmas (our summer)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...