Monday, September 26, 2016

School Ramblings {September 26, 2016}

I'm a little behind in the school ramblings and should have had one out last week, but other things happened. I attempted to have this post published on Friday . . . . then Saturday . . . . then it was forgotten about.

After our last School Ramblings we had a break week and now have had two weeks of school. We have finished week 8 out of 12 of our first term.



Caleb's favored book~ Caleb has named The Count of Monte Cristo as his current favorite. I mentioned in my last School Ramblings that I was surprisingly enjoying this book too.

Tyler's favored book~ I didn't have to beg Tyler this week to get his current favorite book; he is enjoying Call of the Wild.

We've got This! I worked hard on putting together a new schedule and our days have been much smoother the last two weeks.

What's in the Morning Basket? Morning Basket is going well (depending on who you ask). I've been working on improving our art study time and have been pleased with the narrations and discussions. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is a favorite of Tyler's. Caleb may be too old for the book since he has little interest. This has been a problem the last two year in Morning Basket. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Looking ahead (teacher duties): I am working on getting all the pre-reading done before start of the school week. It's tough and I'm currently behind in two books (last week it didn't get completed and I finished some during the week and couple more this weekend). The biggest problem is that Tyler is doing some different books than Caleb so I need to pre-read for both (instead of just the oldest). It was helpful pre-reading complete books during the summer, but I wanted to read 4 and I only goth through one and a half. (I did finished that half if that counts for anything.) Another issue is that I'm distracted easily and my to-list for Saturday is unrealistic (both of these greatly decrease the effectiveness for the pre-read, which is another problem). I want to read all the boy's books so we can have better discussions. I know I can't pre-read them all books. I read more of Caleb's than Tyler because that will save me time in the future. I decided a couple of weeks ago to add a few more to the list to read and I just haven't been able to keep up. I'm not sure if there is a solution (besides not planning anything on Saturday and hiring a housekeeper) but this is something I want to work on and try to accomplish.

We celebrated the birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary on September 8th with cake.


I'm looking forward to this week due to no activities outside the home during school hours. I love weeks like this since it greatly cuts down on everyone's stress level. Our evenings are a little busy during the first half of the week but we should survive since our days should be pleasant. I've got some nature study planned later in the week . . . . and we may have to bring a jacket. I don't want to say that too loud since we had some days in the mid-nineties with heat index last week, which makes 70s sound cold!

How was your school week? 
 

1 comment:

  1. I read the Count of Monte Cristo many years ago when I was 15, in the school library during lunch hours and I still remember that book, it was the best!!!
    Not ideal but what about reading study notes of the boys books to keep ahead?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...